The Nebraska Local (formerly known as Good. Fresh. Local.) program began in September 2005 and is a very popular local dining program with students and the UNL community. This program defines 'local' as food that comes from Nebraska farmers, producers, and manufacturers.
The Nebraska Local program is built on a foundation that:
- Serves traditional menu items that promote the value of local food
- Educates students about sustainable agriculture and the positive impact it has on the environment, local economy, and communities
- Provides a new distribution opportunity for local farmers and producers in the world of university food service
The Nebraska Local project was created by the following team members:
- Nebraska Cooperative Development Center
- Nebraska farmers, producers, and manufacturers
- The Food Processing Center
- The Nebraska Sustainable Agriculture Society
- University Dining Services
- University of Nebraska–Lincoln students
The Nebraska Local program features special monthly meals at Cather and East Campus Union Dining Centers and incorporates individual local menu items on a daily basis. In addition, the University Catering offers Nebraska Local menus and a few local items are offered at Abel/Sandoz, Harper, and Selleck Dining Centers.
If you have any questions about the Nebraska Local Project, contact Pam Edwards, Assistant Director – Dining Services, at 402-472-9045 or email@example.com.
Some of our producers
This small family farm located west of Columbus, NE has been active since 1904. Owners Larry and Lanette Stec raise pasture pigs, pasture laying hens, and tend to a large organic garden on 200 acres of certified organic crop land.Erstwhile Farm
“We are a small, sustainable family farm that recognizes the value of food and a simple, home-cooked meal. Our promise is to grow and nurture health ‘farm goodness’ (without the use of chemicals or antibiotics) and help you bring it home to your family, all while maintain our ongoing commitment to respect the land and animals in our practices. By building personal and ongoing relationships with our customers, we develop a trust in the integrity of our food and the integrity of our business. You are our business.”
- Cather Dining Center
- Nebraska Food Cooperative, Lincoln, NE
- Tomato Tomato, Omaha, NE
- Nebraska Farmer's Union
First Nebraska farm to have Animal Welfare Approved Certification.
- Pigs have spent 100% of their lives on the farm.
- Antibiotic use is almost nonexistent.
- All feed grains are certified organic.
- Seasonal Fruits and Vegetables
- Certified organic seeds and plants as much as possible, but always non-GMO.
- Weed control done by hand.
- Choices include:
- green beans
Located in Dwight, NE (northwest of Lincoln), this family owned and operated fruit and vegetable farm offers a wide assortment of products.Pekarek's Produce
- Abel, Cather, and East Campus Dining Centers
- College View Farmer's Market
- Lincoln Haymarket Farmer's Market
- Seward Farmer's Market
- The Hub Café micro-market
- Produce in Super Saver, HyVee, and Russ’s Markets
The owners are husband and wife, both of whom graduated from the University of Nebraska–Lincoln.
- Sweet potatoes
- Sweet corn
Started in 2003 by Dean and Amy, this farm outside of Burchard, NE (southeast of Lincoln), provides farm fresh free-range chickens and eggs. In 2018 Dean and Amy converted Plum Creek Farms into a distribution company. All producers are members of the family.
- Little Addie’s Egg farm and 3A Poultry
- Owned by Dean and Amy’s daughter Olivia and her husband Logan Barr
- PD's Poultry
- Owned by Dean and Amy’s son, Patrick Dvorak
“The finest freshest chicken from our farm to your kitchen.”
- Cather Dining Center
- Country Club of Lincoln
- Dish, Lincoln, NE
- Le Quartier Baking Company, Lincoln, NE
- Single Barrel, Lincoln, NE
- Sebastian’s Table, Lincoln, NE
- Fed a grain based vegetarian diet.
- Access to outdoor space.
- Feed is antibiotic and hormone free.
- Choices include:
- whole chicken
- split half-chicken
- 8 pc. cut-up chicken
- chicken breasts
- Grass fed ground beef
- Thanksgiving turkeys